RelaiXed

Experiences with the RelaiXed DIY audio preamplifier

You are not connected. Please login or register

Building enclosure using Schaeffer

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 am

(The first post in the forum is in English, so I assume we continue in English.)
Is there anybody that used the components as advised by Jos and used the Schaeffer software to make the back panel and/or front panel?
I'm building my Relaixed and in the meantime would like to have the back and front panel made by Schaeffer.
So it would be very helpful if someone could give me the Schaeffer files/drawings, that would really save some time.

Thanks in advance!

Matthias.

View user profile http://www.pdd.nl

2 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:48 am

I have the drawings from Jos, you can have them if you like. you can call me, i live in the netherlands. It is easy to copy and paste in a new file.
06-22796439

View user profile http://www.avmn.nl

3 Enclosures on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi all,

firstly thanks for posting in English - I'd be lost with anything else!

Can I lay claim to being the most "far flung" Relaixed builder - I lived in Abu Dhabi when I first "found" Relaixed and bought the boards and a few other bits & bobs from Jos and a whole pile of components from Farnell. As soon as the parts all arrived my company asked me to move to Bahrain so progress on Relaixed is so far ........ zero!

I also have the files from Jos for the rear panel and I think that I'll find it easy enough to modify to suit my needs (Jos was mounting DAC socketry on the back panel which I won't need), what I'm a little more concerned about is the front panel.

I'd like to house my Relaixed in a black enclosure but am a little concerned that machining a black anodised panel will leave a fair bit of natural aluminium showing (display window volume knob recess etc - does anyone have experience of the Schaeffer panels in this respect or any suggestions to minimise the impact?

Sorry for "going on" a little and thanks to Jos for the original design, the excellent boards, for being so helpful and for setting up this forum which I hope to both learn from and contribute to as my build progresses.

Cheers
Dave

View user profile

4 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Is this the type of what you mean

It is halve the way.

I like to make a new top cover folded over both sides and a front with dark plexiglass

Last edited by hans on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:33 am; edited 3 times in total

5 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows what that black material Jos used to cover the hole that housed his LED display and IR receiver. Was it just black plexiglas? I how you cant see into the circuit board but the blue LED segment display is clear.

I am not sure DB can quite claim to be the most far flung Relaixed owner. I live in Alaska...

View user profile

6 enclosures on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 pm

I think you have me beaten on distance akcruiser!

Yes the "window"in Jos' build is indeed a piece of dark grey plexiglass, I know this as at the time of my board order he had some left over and was kind enough to send me a piece. Must admit I'm dreading the job of shaping it to fit the corners of the front panel aperture, my skills such as they may be are more on the electronics side than the mechanical!

Cheers
Dave

View user profile

7 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 pm

I'm in Italy so the world coverage is getting better and better...
I'm also more into electronics than enclosures and I do like the version that Jos show on Picasa. I'm very interested in a design file for both front (hifi2000) and back (Schaeffer).
Otherwise, I know from experience that I will have the RelaiXed up and running in a few weeks and boxed in several month!
I'm not sure that my new DAC (Buffalo32S) and its attendant circuitry will fit inside so I was planning for a layout with pre-amp only connections in a slim-line design.

Cheers,

Nic

View user profile

8 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 am

Hi,
regarding the blank alu of Schaeffers panels....
http://picasaweb.google.com/jos.van.eijndhoven/BalancedPreAmp#5195167926344467634
As you can see on my Schaeffer 'black' backpanel, indeed all outward sides and holes are indeed blank alu. For the backpanel I found this still acceptable, but for my front I would have more doubts. On the bakcpanel, I colored the inner sides of the holes black with a CD marker pen. As result, the holes around the XLR connectors look perfect now. I must also admit that the machining quality surpassed all my expectations: the tight fit of my drawing works great. Also, the blank alu text symbols are beautiful in the black panel.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jos.van.eijndhoven/BalancedPreAmp#5195167939229369554

Still, my www.hifi200.it housing comes with a nice 10mm thick brushed black alu front, where the black brushed pattern extends around all edges. Maybe one can check whether Schaeffer is willing to work on user-provided panels...

Another option would be to contact hifi200.it whether they are willing to provide/stock dedicated relaixed panels.... But I guess it should also be quite possible to find some other small metal-working company which is willing to do a 'standard' machining of sent-in front panels.

Greetings,
Jos

DB wrote:Hi all,
I'd like to house my Relaixed in a black enclosure but am a little concerned that machining a black anodised panel will leave a fair bit of natural aluminium showing (display window volume knob recess etc - does anyone have experience of the Schaeffer panels in this respect or any suggestions to minimise the impact?
Cheers
Dave

Last edited by josve on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://jos.van.eijndhoven.net

9 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 am

Hi Jos,
Could you possibly make the design file for the Schaefferback panel available for download. Preferably in the Schaeffer "Front Panel Designer 3.51" file-format so that it would be easy to customize.
I think it would take me 10 panels before I would get the PCB mounted XLR's to fit....
It would be a great starting point as I plan to use the hifi2000 slim line enclosure.
Cheers,
Nic

P.S. On your back panel there is a "PLL out" out hole... Curiosity and ignorance makes me ask what that is for.....

View user profile

10 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:43 am

Maybe one can check whether Schaeffer is willing to work on user-provided panels...

Schaeffer is willing to work on user-provided panels but they don't anodised the panel after machining. They are working on it. Hifi2000 will do the job for you, but the price is very high for one panel.

Co

View user profile

11 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:04 am

You can copy and paste with in scheaffers cad programm. Only where Jos used 10 mm for the holes, i needed 12 mm, that was after i bought the WBT connectors.

12 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:11 am

hans wrote:You can copy and paste with in scheaffers cad programm.
Ok, I understand - but I have nothing to paste....
Nic

View user profile

13 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 am

Send me a mail than i can send it to you, i can't find a way to attach a file within this forum.

14 more enclosures .................... on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Another option would be to contact hifi200.it whether they are willing to provide/stock dedicated relaixed panels....

This seems like an excellent idea to me, I guess a good percentage of RelaiXed builders will go with the HIFI2000 cases and if I remember correctly their very high cost for a single panel becomes much more reasonable when spread across even 10 or so.

Do other members think this is worth following up on? If there's sufficient interest maybe we could get consensus on designs for both front and rear panels and then contact HiFi2000 for a quote?

I'll put my thoughts down as a starting point for discussion:

Rear panel - basically per Jos' design shown on his picasa link but without the dac connector holes - what is the majority wish on input connectors 3 sets of XLR and 2 of RCA or the reverse? Propose black aluminium

Front panel --- mmmmmm I'll think about this one for a while - black for me certainly but I need to think about details of layout and window aperture design.

Could others post their thoughts please?

Cheers
Dave

View user profile

15 Re: Building enclosure using Schaeffer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 pm

This is my plan.
Hifi 2000 case GX 383

I have now a working amp, now the finishing touch.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum